This message is brought to you by the ECO CLUB!
The December Eco Theme is REDUCE YOUR FOOTPRINT!
With the onset of winter we need to be aware of our carbon footprint. Our Board’s footprint increases in the wintertime due to our boiler plants consuming fuel. To Reduce energy consumption during the winter season and stay warm we recommend the following actions at school, work or home:
- Keep heat in the building by ensuring exterior windows and doors are kept closed.
- Ensure that all weather stripping is in place around doors and windows. If it is damaged, please let caretaking know so they can have it repaired. Weather stripping around doors and windows can reduce energy needs by up to 25%!
- Ensure that all heating and cooling vents and radiators are clear of obstructions.
- Wear winter appropriate clothing to work in layers to keep warm and comfortable.
- Unplug any electronics you aren’t using! If you keep them on standby mode, you waste about 10% of electricity!
- Use your blinds to assist with heating and cooling classrooms and offices. Let the sun shine in! Just like our LOL lunches, you can use this strategy all day long! Open up your shades and curtains during the day so that sun can naturally light and warm your home or classroom.
- If you are baking in the oven at home with a grownup – don’t peak at what you are cooking!! 20% of the heat escapes EVERY time an oven door is opened!
- Grownups – every degree lower you turn down your thermostat, you’ll save up to 3% on heating costs!
- Using cold water in your washing machine can reduce energy use by as much as 90%!
Staff, students and families -> if you want to learn more go to: